Do your eyes feel strained as the day wears on? Do you find yourself squinting after a few hours of being up and about? Well, you probably don’t give it much thought but you rely on your sight for all aspects of your life. It literally helps you navigate through the day. Your eyes are constantly giving you a break…isn’t it time you did the same for them? Here are a few ideas that should help relieve your eye strain from the start of the day until the end.
- Take a break from looking at screens, specifically your computer, phone and television. Often, it is not the screen itself but the surrounding conditions that cause eye strain. Even so, your eyes become tired and irritated after a time. Recognize this and turn off the screens or close your eyes for a few moments and give them a break.
- Take a break from squinting due to excessive sunlight. Use sunglasses whenever you are outside. Even if the day is overcast, there are still certain rays that get through and challenge your vision.
- Take a break from smoky atmospheres. There are few things that will cause your eyes to strain more than having to fight through smog and smoke. Be cognizant of pollution levels in your area and do not position yourself near someone that smokes cigars, cigarettes or other devices.
- Try these suggestions as well to help calm irritated eyes and strained eyesight.
- Wash your face in the middle of the day. Splash cold water – you will automatically close your eyes and feel the soothing relief of the coolness.
- Close your eyes and place cool compresses on your lids for a few moments. This is a great way to rejuvenate your whole mindset, while also giving your eyes a much-needed break from a busy day.
- If you have allergies, then stay indoors on allergy-alert days. While taking allergy medications is also a choice, sometimes the best intervention is the simplest – avoid putting yourself in the natural environment whenever possible.
- If avoiding the outdoors is not possible, seek the advice of a medical professional such as your optometrist, to identify the types of medication that will provide relief for those irritated and strained eyes.
The professionals at See Island Eye Care are trained in treating all forms of eye strain, irritated eyes and other vision problems. We invite you to make us your go-to eye care specialists and we look forward to working with you.