Did you know your body needs to be well hydrated to maintain the ocular moisture necessary for good vision? Hydrating your eyes is essential to maintaining eyesight. Staying hydrated at all times is critical since our bodies are composed of 60-70% water.
When we are less hydrated, the number of tears we produce becomes insufficient. Also, dehydration can cause dry eyes, leading to blurred vision and headaches. To solve this problem, take several short breaks throughout the day to let your eyes rest a little and follow these tips to stay hydrated:
- Make sure to drink between 8 and 10 glasses of water a day
- Drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up and one with each meal
- Drink a glass of water before, during and after physical activity
- Always keep a bottle of water handy to keep reminding you to drink more frequently
- On hot days drink more water than you usually would
Have additional questions about your eye hydration and overall vision health? Contact Island Eyecare today to speak with one of our team members, or to schedule an appointment! And remember, hydrated eyes are happy eyes!