The health of your eyes and vision can be enhanced through proper nutrition. Some experts believe that nearly 90% of Americans do not get the correct amounts of vitamins and minerals so vital to good eyesight that are available through vegetables and fruits. As spring arrives, it’s a good time to commit to including these natural foods into your daily consumption. Here are some of the best foods to protect your vision health.
- Dark leafy greens. Kale and spinach are the green leafy vegetables that contain the natural carotenoids zeaxanthin and lutein.
Carotenoids are organic pigments that give foods their color. Zeaxanthin and lutein are the nutrients that compose your ‘macular pigment’. They are antioxidants that help to filter out ‘blue light’ (such as what is emitted from every screen and electronic device). The body does not produce these nutrients on their own. You can only get them through eating nutritional foods in which they are contained or through dietary supplements.
- Orange peppers. This particular food is believed to have the highest content of zeaxanthin of any of the wide variety of fruits and vegetables.
- Egg yolks. While many people enjoy eggs as part of a healthy breakfast diet, they likely don’t realize that egg yolks are a good source of zeaxanthin and lutein. Researchers caution that when egg yolks are heated, they do lose some of their nutritional potency. But, adding a couple eggs to a leafy green salad can increase the zeaxanthin and lutein strength significantly.
- Alaskan salmon. Salmon are known to be rich in Omega-3s. Omega-3 is a fatty acid that is not produced by the body and must be ingested through foods or supplements. Research shows that Omega-3 can help prevent macular degeneration in adults as well as dry eye syndrome.
- Bilberries and black currants. Bilberries are an excellent source of nutrition for your eyesight – although they tend to be difficult to grow and are expensive in natural form at the market. Black currants are more common and have some of the highest levels of nutrients and fatty acids that support and maintain maximum visual health.
Before you go to the market add these foods to your shopping list. Not only are they healthy for your body – they are necessary sources of nutrients to maintain your vision.